Director of Engineering Operations
In a few short years, Clear Ballot has become the leader in election innovation. Our patented software has brought the speed, accuracy, and transparency that the election industry lacked. Now the fastest growing elections company in the country, Clear Ballot is #1 in market share in multiple states and was named to the GovTech 100 list in 2018 and 2019. Clear Ballot’s election software is used to streamline election administration processes and has strengthened confidence in jurisdictions across Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Florida.
In the elections industry, releasing software is like launching rockets: we must hit our launch dates, and we don’t get to fail in production. Clear Ballot is seeking a Director of Engineering Operations to own the critical space between schedule, scope, quality, and value.
In this role, you’ll:
- Work closely with election officials, customer-facing Clear Ballot teams, and our Product Management team to manage release scope and reliably hit deadlines with high-quality, high-value software.
- Build plans, manage deadlines, and track deliverables to hit release schedules and support county and state governments during the November 2020 general election and beyond.
- Coordinate the efforts of our software teams with other internal teams, including our customer-facing, hardware development, and certification management teams.
- Set and refine software engineering and communication processes to balance structure, ownership, and adaptability.
- Recruit, mentor and develop excellent Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers.
Desired Skills and Experience
Our ideal Director of Engineering Operations will have:
- Success delivering large projects through effective management of dependencies, timelines, and deliverables, as well as excellent delegating skills.
- A solid understanding of software architecture patterns and principles, a quick grasp of the nature of technical problems, and the ability to ask good questions and challenge assumptions.
- A proven ability to collaborate effectively with non-technical customer staff and internal customer-facing teams to manage expectations, explain technical concepts, and achieve company goals.
- A passion for managing people, and 3+ years of experience doing it well, in an environment that values diversity and inclusion.
- An intuition for effective application of agile principles to novel situations, gained through many years of working with high-performing, self-organizing agile teams.
- Experience with the tools of modern software development, including cloud-based web applications, git, modern issue tracking systems (e.g. Jira), and CI/CD and code repository tools (e.g. GitLab).
- A track record as a highly collaborative, communicative teammate.
Clear Ballot Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and dedicated to professional development and advancement. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful and considerate environment. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Are you a hard worker, a self-starter, an optimist, and a collaborator? Most importantly, are you someone who shares our passion to employ technology to improve elections? If so, we want to hear from you.
Interested? Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.