Voices across the country are not equitable. Public trust in elections is challenged like never before. The elections technology market is an oligopoly that has stifled innovation. The odds are stacked, but Clear Ballot rises to the challenge with a simple goal: Let’s create technology that empowers our customers to improve democracy.
Elections are the cornerstone of our democracy, with voting being our greatest freedom. While most Americans across the country watch and read about elections, Clear Ballot lives them. A great election includes secure, reliable tabulation equipment, full transparency of the process, and the ability to audit the results. Our mission is to surpass those expectations in a way that will raise the bar for the entire election technology industry.
Our talented team and driven investors share a passion for solving problems and restoring confidence in America’s democratic process. We are looking for energetic professionals to join us in this mission.
Clear Ballot is seeking a Principal Engineer who will be a key contributor to our voting system products, including the ClearVote™ suite.
This position is based in Boston, MA. Clear Ballot follows CDC and Massachusetts state safety guidelines for businesses to protect our employees. Once these agencies approve a higher office occupancy rate, this position will be expected to be performed in-person at our Boston office.
- Design and implement technical solutions that solve election industry challenges that promote transparency, accessibility, auditability, and security.
- Work closely with the Product Management and Engineering Management teams to plan and execute software release schedules.
- Be a technical leader on a cross-functional agile team of Software Developers, QA engineers, Technical Writers, and Product Managers and be expected to understand and design for interactions between hardware and software.
- Help drive clarity in our sprint planning meetings and contribute to task definition, prioritization, estimation, and assignment.
- Drive your deliverables with a sense of urgency and ownership along with surfacing risks and suggesting updated plans when appropriate.
- Review your teammates' work as a part of your day-to-day activities. In addition, you will provide mentorship to fellow engineers and will help others achieve their stated goals.
- Invest your time to keep up with innovation in software engineering, and constantly look for ways to improve the team’s technical and organizational approaches.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 10+ years of hands-on experience designing, building, and implementing systems utilizing various technologies with an emphasis on security.
- 5+ years of experience working as a mentor for other engineers.
- Experience with developing U-Boot / Linux kernel system level code for custom ARM board designs -- including interfacing with USB and i2c devices.
- Experience with writing embedded systems in Python and interfacing to required hardware and driver level protocols.
- Experience with writing and reviewing embedded system software specifications, hardware manufacturing test applications.
- Capable of understanding component device level data sheets, and system circuit diagrams.
- Working understanding of Ubuntu and Debian systems.
- Experience working and collaborating in an Agile environment.
- Experience using git, modern issue tracking systems (e.g. Jira), and CI/CD and code repository tools (e.g. GitLab).
- Being comfortable taking on tasks with ambiguous business requirements and unclear technical strategy.
- A passion to improve stability, performance, and code quality of legacy code.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the expectation that you will present to the Clear Ballot Executive Team.
- A track record as a collaborative, communicative teammate, and an excellent mentor to other engineers.
Clear Ballot Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and dedicated to professional development and advancement. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful and considerate environment. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Are you a hard worker, a self-starter, an optimist, and a collaborator? Most importantly, are you someone who shares our passion to employ technology to improve elections? If so, we want to hear from you.
Interested? Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.