About Clear Ballot
Clear Ballot Group is the leading election innovation company. Based in Boston, the company combines the expertise of former in-the-trenches elections officials and the entrepreneurial spirit of a high-tech startup. The diversity of the team’s perspectives allows Clear Ballot to apply technology to solve real problems in a continually evolving industry. Our patented software has brought new levels of speed, accuracy, and transparency to US elections.
Our commitment to innovation has fueled Clear Ballot’s growth from a small election-auditing company to the fourth largest vote-tabulation company in just over a decade. Looking forward, Clear Ballot aims to convert transparency of results into voter confidence and strengthen the democratic process nationwide.
As a Product Manager at Clear Ballot, you’ll join a small but growing team responsible for setting the overall direction of our voting solutions and related products. Our mission is to deliver products that help our customers consistently run great elections that get better every year. In this role, you’ll:
- Develop a deep understanding of market problems including state-to-state variations on the elections process, perennial challenges, and emerging trends.
- Shape release plans that balance opportunities to enter new markets with enhancements for existing customers and groundbreaking innovations.
- Design and validate user flows within the product that help election administrators, poll workers – and voters! – do their jobs successfully.
- Serve as product owner on an agile engineering team, clarifying requirements at a more granular level, and setting backlog priority.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the company to communicate the value of what we’ve built and represent the long-term product vision.
Desired Skills and Experience
Our ideal Product Manager will have:
- 7+ years of experience in software or a related field, 3+ years of experience as a product manager in a B2B or B2G model, during which you became adept at building deep customer empathy and using that empathy to guide the efforts of engineering teams. You have the habit of listening twice as much as you speak.
- A focus on software, while also being ready to take on the challenge of defining an entire product that includes both software and hardware components. You’re so hands-on with the product you might need a voting machine in your home office.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment. You’re focused on achieving outcomes more than following a specific process, willing to adopt new processes that prove to be effective, and thoughtful in applying the right tool for the job.
- The ability to zoom out to see the big picture and multi-year view, and then distill the big pieces of that vision into clear, actionable work that engineers can execute on. Along the way, you’re able to synthesize competing demands into a unified backlog that optimizes for the needs of the overall business while minimizing churn.
- An appreciation for how the product that engineering builds interacts with the services we provide to customers and other systems and processes in the customer environment. Your outlook extends beyond functional requirements to how the voting system is deployed, operationalized, and maintained over time.
- A track record of cultivating innovation and knowing how to validate whether or not a new idea really solves a pressing customer problem. You know the value of mockups for communicating to customers, the field, and your engineering team – and can put together some decent ones yourself.
- A passion for democracy and desire to work with our customers to see firsthand how elections are run.
Clear Ballot Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and dedicated to professional development and advancement. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful and considerate environment. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Are you a hard worker, a self-starter, an optimist, and a collaborator? Most importantly, are you someone who shares our passion to employ technology to improve elections? If so, we want to hear from you.
Interested? Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.